I learned that lesson the hard way. No, I was not stuck in a desert, but I might as well have been. Nope, it was in Ko Pha Ngan in Thailand. Famous for its incredible full moon party. Well, this was back in 2004 and I had got there late. Actually I got to the island the very morning after the party, as I had been working in Nakhon Si Thammarat.
I still wanted to party and met up with a few willing Irish souls. they had not got enough from the night before and we had ourselves a little afte
r-full-moon-party. I fell asleep in my hammock outside the cabin and woke up around 4 at night. The moon was big and bright and lighted up the whole beach.
I was so thirsty I thought I was going to die right there and then from dehydration.
I started searching for water. Nothing in my cabin. I checked the restaurant nearby. Closed. I was desperate. I started walking along the beach to see if I could find anyone or anything that could give a few lifesaving drops. Nope. Nothing. Nada. My throat was like sandpaper. I could have eaten a hand full of sand and I swear it wouldn’t have made a difference to me.
Then I realized. The coconuts. They were everywhere. I was saved! I picked one up and shock it. Sweet liquid inside. I could hear it… but how to get to it? I had no knife. There was no sharp rocks or similar to open the nut. I walked around with the nut for while, like the squirrel in the Ice Age movies, trying to find a way to open it, but in the end I had to give up.
I walked home eyeballing all the coconuts lying around with their sweet juice inside. Laughing at me…
After that, I NEVER go to bed anywhere without water close to me.